As our world continues to rely more heavily on technology, the health industry has adapted as well. More therapists are incorporating an online form of mental health support into their practice.
This type of therapy has proven to be an effective and convenient form of counseling for both clients and therapists.
What is Teletherapy?
Virtual therapy is similar to traditional therapy, but with a digital twist. Instead of meeting with your therapist in their office, your session is held over technology. Some examples of this therapy include:
- Sessions held over a phone call
- Using video conferencing over a smartphone, tablet, or computer
- Receiving therapy via email or instant messenger
What Does a Typical Session Look Like?
In general, online therapy sessions work just as they would in person. Patients schedule a live video appointment with their therapist, who prepares for the session beforehand. Clients should also plan and prepare for their virtual appointment, just as they would before an in-person visit. Online therapy even offers a digital waiting room if you arrive early for your appointment, so you can ensure that you will have plenty of time to check that your equipment is working properly.
Is Online Therapy as Effective as In-Person Treatment?
Most research suggests that online counseling is just as effective as in-person treatment. The American Psychiatric Association states, “Telemedicine in psychiatry is a validated and effective practice of medicine that increases access to care.”
Not only has online therapy proven to be effective, but research has shown high levels of patient satisfaction with remote care. Nearly 75 percent of patients expressed satisfaction with the online format.
Benefits of Teletherapy for Clients
There are several benefits of seeking this type of therapy with a licensed therapist, including:
- Greater access to care – Online therapy allows you to receive care from anywhere in the world within the range of cellular service or WiFi. With this level of convenience, you will not need to worry about your geographical location, physical disabilities, or scheduling issues getting in the way of receiving the care you need.
- Privacy – Since you do not have to be in public to receive online counseling, this may alleviate privacy concerns. You do not have to worry about running into anyone you know in the facility waiting room or hallways.
- Efficiency – Congested commutes, long wait times, and arranging for childcare are all factors that can make a client feel anxious about scheduling an in-person therapy session. Online therapy presents a much more time-efficient option for many busy adults.
- Better public health – With the surge of the COVID-19 pandemic, it is vital that we all do our part to slow the spread of illness and protect vulnerable populations. Remote therapy allows people to receive treatment at home without risking the spread of infection.
AspenTeletherapy is Your Best Option for Online Therapy
If you are local to Utah and are looking for the best resource for teletherapy, AspenTeletherapy is here for you. Our professional, experienced therapists are all licensed in the state of Utah and can provide you with the most effective and convenient treatment you need. Our therapy sessions are held online via a secure, HIPPA compliant, face-to-face video system, and we offer phone sessions as well.
We are proud to service all of Utah, including Salt Lake City, Orem, Provo, Lehi, and Ogden. Contact us with any questions you may have or to get started on your path to healing today.